Friday, December 12, 2008

The silver lining to an economy in shambles

Yes. It is absolutely glum to watch the news right now. It is heartwrenching to see the unemployment rate climbing each mother, and I can't imagine knowing that Christmas at home is impossible because that home was lost to a foreclosure. These are trying times, but there are still blessings in which to rejoice.

Today I found out that due to economic reasons, Murray State will be closing a few extra days over the Christmas break. This means that instead of a week, I get two full weeks of paid vacation. And this means that I might get to see Texas our Texas after all. It has been nearly five months since I have seen Texas, over six months since I stepped foot in Abilene, and nearly seven months since I slept in my bed at home in Menard. I thought I was going to have to wait until spring break in March, but it looks like I might just have to wait two weeks. The thought of those short, ugly, shrubby mesquite trees lining a huge (hopefully cloudless) Texas sky is putting a big lump in my throat right now. I might even have to go out and buy a big yellow rose to take home with me after work.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Yay! That's awesome!
There are definitely some positive aspects of a failing economy (low gas prices, insane sales and coupons), but I realize that's a lot easier for me to say because I'm not in danger of losing my job due to layoffs, and I'm not worried about retirement.

Anonymous said...

Happy for you. Hope it all works out and you are able to go home...I know how comforting it is to be in your old room, with your mothers candles...I love it as well! -Haylee-