Wednesday, July 15, 2009

three years

It's been three years since I tacked "Gensic" onto my name, and that means it has been three years of posts about ridiculous things BJ has said, Sienna's disgusting bodily functions, Tony's evilness, and Gus's sweet but stupid nature. It's been a good three years.

It has also been a tough three years. Being an adult can just really, thoroughly suck. I used to look at my father and wander what the world looked like from way up there. I wandered if the ground seemed far away. Of course, I figured it was pretty awesome.

One night, when we were sitting in the car waiting for Mom to come out of the grocery store, I naively mused to my father about how much fun it must be to be grown up. Dad said something to this affect: "Being an adult is hard and scary, and you should enjoy everyday you get to be a child." He's a cheery guy, isn't he? At least he was always honest with me, and I guess he tried to warn me.

This morning, I woke BJ up, whispered "happy anniversary," and set a card on his chest. It's a card made from recycled paper, which makes me happy. BJ's first words were, "Oh! I'm a terrible husband. I forgot to pick you up a card." He then proceeded to tell me "Happy anniversary" with morning breath. It was one of those moments that could only be endearing if you love each other despite it all. Despite having moved so many times you're still exhausted, or having fought the world, or having occasionally fought each other, or even knowing that you've seen the crazy in each other displayed in broad daylight.

So I guess here's another mushy blog post to add to the plethora of mushy blog posts in my archives. And here's hoping the Lord blesses us with another year of chaos sprinkled with mushy moments. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you. Ya'll are such a special couple.

Can't wait to see you in less than two weeks now!

Love,
Mom P.

Kayla said...

Happy anniversary! I was hoping you'd post something on your blog because I thought your anniversary was the 15th, but I couldn't remember.

Darby said the exact same thing to me when I gave him his card. Luckily (for him) I don't get mad about that stuff. And he did get me a card for my birthday, so that's pretty good.

Allison Knutson said...

We skipped cards and presents all together. *Grin* Happy anniversary to two of my favourite people on the planet! Miss you guys!