Monday, April 19, 2010


Tony has always been very reliable. I know that he will be at the back door every morning when I let Gus out, and I know that he'll be mewing at the front door everyday when I get home from work.

Unfortunately, for the past week, he hasn't been at either place. We found out from our neighbor that Tony was killed by a car last week.

It feels weird not having Tony around. I walked to the cat food section the other day by habit only to remember I don't need cat food anymore.

Of course, Tony was the type of pet who would not have approved of me being all sappy upon his passing. He was a really horrible cat, and he was proud of that. Zoe has scars to prove that he was tougher than dogs. He was also smarter than dogs, but then again, Gus and Zoe are idiots, so the competition wasn't very steep in our house.

The oddest thing about his passing is that we no longer have Sienna or Tony, the pets we started our marriage with. Right as we are starting a new phase in life, we've lost one of the main symbols in my mind of our first years together.

And now we are left with just Gus and Zoe. Gus, the lovable mutt who is pretty much just fluff and goodness, and Zoe, the Great Dane who daily spreads cheer and saliva, but mostly saliva. Our child is coming into a interesting family, and now that Tony has gone to that place in the sky where there is an endless supply of tuna, he or she is probably coming into a safer family as well.

6 comments:

Allie said...

This...made me cry. Tony was our first married pet sitting cat and we have some really fantastic memories the time we spent with him. And a lot of pictures. I will send them to you. *hugs and love* - Allie

John Pierce said...

Honestly, Tony was the greatest cat, even if he was the most terrible, too. I'll never forget him reading Nietzsche at my house and then, you know, trying to kill everything he came across for the rest of his life. I'll miss him a whole lot.

Kayla said...

Awww, Kalyn, I'm so sorry. How hard to lose Sienna and Tony so close together. I remember when Tony was just a little guy in Cimarron; sitting and watching him could provide hours of entertainment. He was definitely a one-of-a-kind cat.

Anonymous said...

Pets, especially independant cat types, remind us that we are creatures of relationship. I'm sorry Tony and Sienna are no longer part of the daily fabric of our lives. I'm also glad for all the joy and laughter they brought to us. I know you will continue to embrace change and find joy in whatever that change brings. Love you both,

Mom G

Brittany Baumgartner said...

Aww, Tony will be missed. He was a sweet cat when he wasn't attacking you. ;)

lp said...

That was the exact picture I wanted. I can not believe that I miss him. Remember the day I was sick and Tony "took care of me".
Love, Mom