Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Nightmare Before Underwear

We are trying (I mean really, really trying) to potty train our stubborn (I mean really, really stubborn) son.  It's not working.

The original plan was for BJ to tackle the whole potty training bit while Lydia and I were gone last weekend for a baby shower in Abilene.  By noon of the first day, Shepherd was sobbing on the potty chair that "my legs hurt me!" (he doesn't like the feel of the potty seat on his legs.)  By five minutes past noon the first day, BJ gave up.

When I got home, I firmly said that we were done with diapers as of Monday.  Since Monday, he has only worn underwear during the day.  Unfortunately, he still hasn't actually used the potty in this time.  During these incredibly frustrating three days, I've heard my son wail, "I must poopoo laying down," "No, Mommy, I will not use the potty. Time out," and "Go away, Mommy. I'm pooping" (while squatting behind our couch.)

My sanity in standing on very shaky ground right now. I actually caught myself saying, "BJ, I've got to go poopoo in the potty." What 28-year-old says that?!?!

Unfortunately for Shepherd, his stubborn streak came straight from BJ and I, and we are on a mission.  So potty training in the Gensic house has officially turned into an epic battle of wills.  May the more headstrong win.  And with mine and BJ combined stubbornness that has been honed over decades, that little squirt doesn't stand a chance. 

(P.S. BJ would like everyone to know that he thought of the title for this blog post.  He is very proud.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my.

Mamm