Friday, October 17, 2014

The Incredible Shep

Two days ago, we celebrated Shepherd's forth birthday. Since then, I've been thinking a lot about what an amazing, gently, funny, and affectionate boy he is. Here are the top ten things I love the most about Shepherd.


1. His songs. Right now, life is a musical for Shepherd. He often narrates his day with songs made up as he goes along.


2. His eyes. They are the huge brown eyes that I fell in love with ten years ago when I met BJ.


3. His out-going personality. When he is playing at the playground in our neighborhood park, he walks up to the other children, introduces himself, and then asks, "Do you want to play with me?" Whether they want it or not, they get a new friend.


4. His carefulness. He thinks about consequences before he attempts anything. I mainly love this because I see bits of the overly-cautious Pierces in this trait.


5. His stories. He is constantly making up stories with his toys. I love sitting quietly in a corner listening to what he comes up with.


6. His contemplative moments. Shepherd will spend hours every week pacing around our yard thinking. He even hold his chin in the most classic contemplative pose.


7. His lovingness. He LOVES his family and friends, and he holds a special place for Nana, Papa, Mamm, Pap, Uncle Bro, Aunt Stephanie, and Auntie Al. While reading books with Auntie Al tonight, he asked her if she'd be her tomorrow. When she said she would, he said, "Good. I missed you when you were gone."


8. His old soul. He eats donuts on Sunday morning at the table in the Parlor where the old gentlemen sit. They have wonderful conversations.


9. His brothering. He adores his sisters. He plays and laughs and schemes and explores with Lydia, and he showers Violet with love and affection and hugs and kisses.


10. His hugs. When he wraps his arms around me, he whispers, "Everything is going to be okay, Mom."

No comments: