Monday, July 16, 2007

One year

Here's what I thought one year anniversaries looked like: chocolate, flowers, sweet cards, and a private corner in an expensive restaurant. Here's what my one year anniversary looked like: BJ woke me up by jumping on me and yelling "happy anniversary!!!" way to loudly, we thawed out the top layer of our wedding cake and barely got down one bite at breakfast, we went to Hastings after church to reserve our copy of Harry Potter (the gift we agreed to get ourselves for lasting longer than most celebrity marriages), and than during the evening (the evening I thought I would spend at a nice restaurant), we went to a party with about twenty-five senior citizens and ate sandwiches (tonight was our going away party at Nugent). So, needless to say, it wasn't what I expected. But why should it be? Nothing else this year has been what I expected.

On top of the unpredictable nature of this past year, today was representative of our first year of marriage in several other ways. We laughed a lot today, and we got in a minor argument that I really wanted to stay mad at him over, but forgot about it within the hour. We settled for a cheap present because money is tight (again). We fought nerves over our upcoming life change while being sincerely happy that we are together for our life changes. We held hands in church, and wrestled with each other on our way home. But best of all, we spent it with our family at Nugent, the family we weren't expecting a year ago, we stumbled upon because we need a hundred bucks to pay some bills, and we are now trying to figure out how to leave.

I'm sitting here wondering why God chose to plop such an amazing gift in our laps, a church that loves us, and then send us away only eight months later. Tonight after dinner, several of the church members told BJ what a wonderful preacher he is, and how he should find I congregation in our new home area that needs him and not waste his gift. They were sincere, and I have seen many of them shed tears over losing a preacher that they had come to love so much. I turned to my brother and said, "A year ago, I married a preacher, and I didn't even know it."

A year ago from today, I cried as my father and I prepared to walk down the aisle because I knew I was having to leave in a certain sense the family who had raised me and nurtured me into the woman who was to become BJ's wife. Tonight I am crying because I'm having to leave another family, only this time, I'm not sure what comes next or what they have raised and nurtured me for. All I know is that BJ and I are a little better for having met them, and we will never, never forget them.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I teared up reading your post! God does such crazy things in our lives (the least of which is ever unpredictable Texas weather). I'm still missing my Abilene church and friends, and I'm sure you guys will too, but isn't it neat to know that God has the best possible future planned out for us, even when all we see is uncertainty? Oh, and I'll advertise for Ms Kalyn's art lessons if you help me decorate my classroom! ;-)

Brittany Baumgartner said...

Happy be-lated anniversary! And I agree.... uncertainty is not a fun thing, especially for control freaks like me. :( I think I am going to have one big permanent knot in my stomach until law school starts.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS BRIAN TORREY, I GREW UP GOING TO CHURCH CAMP WITH BJ "CAMP INDOGAN" I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW TO LOCATE HIS SISTER ALLISON, IF YOU COULD HAVE BJ GIVE ME A CALL OR EMAIL ME AT TALLISGOOD93@YAHOO.COM I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.... AND KALYN YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL WITH BJ, GOOD LUCK, AND ALSO TELL BJ MATT PARSHALL SAID HELLO.... HE CAN ALSO CALL ME @ 260-493-7178

Anonymous said...

Hey, Brian! This is Alison. Apparently, you've been harassing my sister-in-law to reach me. Well, I'm in Abilene, TX. You can e-mail me at aloebug@hotmail.com. Alison Gensic for now.