Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Word vomit from Rush Limbaugh and how I became a feminist

Words flowing from the bottomless pit that is Rush Limbaugh's mouth generally disgust me. There's no nice way to put it. Unfortunately, sometimes it is hard to entirely avoid the man. The other day, I heard this extremely unfortunate quote from Limbaugh: "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society." I was so angry about this that I decided to jump on a soap box. So welcome, reader, to my soap box.

After a few Sunday morning Bible classes that focused on women in the church, I have really been examining my views on feminism and my own role in society and, more importantly, the church. After one particular class where my feminism flared out a little more visibly than usual, I was asked by a fellow classmate what my father is like. Basically, she was trying to figure out the roots of my feminism. The more I thought about her question, the more I realized a startling discovery.

Limbaugh's gross misrepresentation of feminism is unfortunately not uncommon in our society, but after contemplating my church friend's question, I came to realize something that truly defies society's feminist stereotype: I realized that the three strongest feminist I personally know are all men. I am speaking of my father, brother, and husband. Let me explain.

Nearly everyday of my youth, my father told me how great I was. In fact, his parenting technique reminds me of Tina Fey's acceptance speech at the Emmy's last year when she thanked her parents for "somehow raising me to have confidence that is disproportionate with my looks and abilities. Well done. That is what all parents should do." He constantly told me that I was just as smart as my brother (which he was wrong about, but I don't hold it against him). The expectation in my house was clear: I, the daughter, was equal in ability and potential to the first born son. Take that, our ridiculous patriarchal culture!

Then there was my brother. He's an English major. I don't think I have to say much else. To sum it up, the guy is a raving feminist who has constantly affirmed both my artistic pursuits and my intellectual development.

And, of course, there is BJ. BJ is a preacher who not only allows, but encourages his wife to pick apart his sermons every week without getting insecure about his manhood. He stands in the kitchen while I cook and talks about deep, complicated theological issues that most people would only talk about with other Bible scholars. Essentially, he seems to think I have a highly developed brain that can withstand all sorts of intellectual vigor. I appreciate that. And the best part is that he helps with the dishes after dinner, and we usually talk theology then, as well.

So Limbaugh and all who prescribe to his way of thinking on this issue, feminist are not just a bunch of "unattractive women". Feminist are women of all levels of attractiveness who believe in the equality of the sexes and men who are secure enough in their masculinity to accept this equality. That is who a feminist is.

4 comments:

Mrs. Gray said...

Amen, Sista! :-)

Anonymous said...

Read this early this morning and thought of you...you are in good company. :^)

http://www.salon.com/opinion/keillor/2009/03/11/disability/index.html

Kayla said...

Thank you! There is also a perception (very common in churches, especially) that being a feminist makes you a "man-hater." Not true. Feminists believe that the sexes are equal (not identical, which is another misconception), not that women are above men. I mean, obviously, I don't hate men. I'm married!
I suprised our college group by voicing the fact that it is sometimes difficult for me to read the Old Testament (and some parts of the NT) because of the sexist language (specifically referring to Isaiah prophesying against Egypt by saying its people are "like women" and meaning that as an insult). Well, I opened up a can of worms there. You and I can talk about what all was said later. I can't go into it all here. Now, everyone views me as some kind of ultra-liberal freak. Guess I know how you feel now. :)

Erin Voss said...

I agree with you! Rush is all kinds of irritating. And I love feminism and being a feminist. My Comps topic is about feminism, so I learn something new and exciting about feminism every week. And I love that the important men in your life are feminists. That's makes me happy.