Thursday, July 07, 2011

It really is a beautiful life

When BJ got home from work this evening, he joined Shepherd and me on the floor where we had been playing with blocks. I welcomed BJ home with a kiss. Because I love my husband to distraction, his welcome home kiss was a real kiss, none of this peck-on-the-cheek stuff. When it was over, I looked over to find that Shep was watching us intently. We laughed at his goofy look, and then BJ grabbed me and Shep in his arms and started rough housing with us. Pain is BJ-speak for 'I love you.'

Later, reflecting on the moment, I couldn't help but compare it to the honey-I'm-home stereotypes of 1950's television. We were far from the typical image between BJ's cargo pants, my sloopy pony tail, and the stench that was coming from Shep's diaper I was just about to change. But it was still very obvious that there is a value in the daily reunion of a man with his wife and child. We were just really happy to see each other.

Perhaps most remarkably, Shepherd is already developing a wonder and curiosity and excitement about love that I feel even at 26 and from which 90 percent of all music, poetry, drama, and art are derived. I can't help but feel a great satisfaction in watching my son be so blessedly human. He is just what God created him to be: a human basking in the love that surrounds him. Every day I pray "God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Rolling on the floor today with my family was a kingdom-of-heaven-on-earth moment. I just love those moments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're the kind of person you are to appreciate the truly great things in life like the love you share as a family. I thank God everday for bringing you into our family. Love you.
Nana

Anonymous said...

Family is so precious and beautiful. God has blessed our family, and moments like this are truly wonderful. Love, Aunt Debra

Anonymous said...

So beautifully said, so beautifully felt & appreciated, so beautifully blessed. Love, (Grand) Aunt Marcy