Sunday, January 27, 2008

That funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, I think it's hope

Because of the divisive nature of politics, I have tried to keep political content off of my blog. I would never want to offend my friends and family who read my blog, and I know that I often have differing political views from those who are closest to me. However, in the past year, there has been an ever-growing sense of inspiration that has now reached an intensity I have never felt in the area of politics. For the first time in my life, I feel a legitimate surging of hope, and it is all the result of one man: Barack Obama. Since this blog has always been a candid journal of my life, it seems dishonest to not do a post on the issue that I am spending a ridiculous amount of my day thinking about, researching, and praying over.

I have read tons of articles over Obama and listened to a large number of his speeches online. After a good bit of consideration, I feel that there are two speeches that give the best overview of who Barack Obama is as a politician and, more importantly, as a person. I do not want anyone to feel like I am saying that Obama is our only hope or that a person who does not vote for him is somehow inherently wrong. All I am wanting to do is offer sources to anyone who reads my blog and wants to know about Obama and why he is such an inspiration to me.

The first speech is the one he gave last night at his victory rally in South Carolina. It is appropriately titled Yes We Can, and I feel it shows his humility, depth, and overall character. The second speech, Politics of the Conscience, is from July of 2007 when Obama spoke to a group of evangelicals. Many people are saying that this is the most important political speech about religion given in the past forty years. I realize that e-mails have been going around saying that Obama is a Muslim. I do not believe this rumor, and the sincerity and intelligence of this speech on his Christian faith and it's role in his life is the basis for my belief. I have never been able to articulate my opinions on faith and politics and how the two should interact. Thankfully, in this speech, Obama does it for me. He has put into words the interconnectedness of faith and politics, and he has acknowledged that Christian morals guide his every step, even in the world of politics.

If you are interested in background information on Obama, "The Path to Power", an article from Men's Vogue, is a really great examination of what has brought him to this election. Also, I would recommend his website for a breakdown of his views on specific issues.

No comments: