Friday, March 14, 2008

I have a strange husband

The other day, BJ was running late getting home from work. I automatically knew that he had been talking to his colleague, Phil. They always have interesting conversation, so I asked BJ what they had been discussing. I've gotten several strange answers in response to this question, but this day was even a little stranger than normal: "We were talking about the plight of the prophet in today's churches." That's right, Jeremiah's job hasn't gotten any easier than when he was "weeping" about it all those millenniums ago.

I'm also always surprised to see what BJ's Bible class is talking about on Sunday mornings after he has taught. BJ is teaching the men's Bible class. He is doing a six week survey of Judges. After my women's class, I go to find BJ to hear how everything went. Usually, he has a flock of people around him asking questions and discussing his class. This week, I walked up and everyone was talking about sex. Apparently, BJ is destroying all the Sunday-school Bible stories they were taught when they were young and replacing these stories with what is really being said. Quite frankly, the Bible is a little raunchy at times. I've never seen so many expressions of lost innocence mixed with fascination.

Although BJ has always been a little strange (that's a big part of why I fell for him), I fear I am making him stranger. He is now a man who exfoliates and does yoga. Even though he married a Texan, I certainly haven't Texan-fied him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...I have always known your husband to be "a little weird" but really, it is why we all love him... that said, I am glad that he's teaching a class, I am glad you are both finding spots to be...in the middle of a world that doesn't always feel comfortable or like 'home' to the two of you, and also, I love and miss you both very very much.