Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sensitive soul or a chicken?

Gus's hair has been getting out of control for a while. BJ and I don't have a clue how to care for a long-haired dog considering we have never had one, so Gus's hair has ended up pretty crazy. Since Old English Sheepdogs are supposed to be trimmed every summer to avoid over heating, BJ decided that now would be a good time for Gus's first hair cut. My brother (who had been visiting me for spring break) and I came back from a trip to Barnes & Noble to find the house empty. I went to the back yard, and there stood BJ, Gus, and a huge pile of hair.

Gus has always been a bit funny looking, but this hair cut has taken his overall comical effect up a notch. I know I shouldn't make fun of him, but looks aren't his strong point. He's sweet. That's why I love him, which is good since he is not at his best in the looks department right now. Here is a before and after:

(from a snow storm two weeks ago)
(earlier this evening)
It's been about three days since the hair cut, and Gus has still not gotten over the trauma of the event. He didn't eat for over twenty-four hours afterwards, and I was only able to get him to eat by putting his bowl of food by my feet. He's been pretty much terrified of BJ, but they are slowly making amends. I told BJ that this dramatic reaction was due to Gus's sensitive soul. BJ says he's just a chicken.

For a final picture, here is one that truly captures Gus's state of depression over his new haircut. I think we can all feel his pain because, after all, who hasn't had a bad hair day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh looked at that second photo and said "He looks pissed" *grin*