Monday, May 18, 2009

Absolutely Beautiful

I'm a jewelry person. I always have been. Orchestrating an outfit with interesting a beautiful jewelry is one of my favorite moments of a day. I'm no fashionista, but I do love putting a look together.

Yesterday, I was getting ready for church, and I realized that every piece of jewelry I had on had some special significance to me. My bracelet was a turquoise bracelet made from Texas turquoise, and it was a gift from my sister and brother in-law. The earrings I was wearing were pearl and silver earrings my Dad bought me because we just so happened to be standing in Zales and he wanted to get me something. It wasn't Christmas or my birthday or some other holiday, it was just a regular day that he felt like making special. My necklace was a long, bulky silver piece that belonged to my Grandma Pierce. She liked gaudy jewelry, and, thankfully, I inhereted that passion. And, of course, I was also wearing my engagement and wedding rings. The story behind my engagement ring is ridiculously sappy, almost embarrasingly sappy, so I'll save that for another post.

I've always been told that we shouldn't take too much stock in material things, and I agree with that. But I love beauty, and I love feeling somehow connected to the people I love and miss because they live far away or have passed away many years ago. So in this context, I think my obsession is legitimized. But that is just some random musings from a very girly girl.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I know what you mean. Jewelry can be very special. I don't usually wear much, but I'm thinking about how special it was to me that I got to wear the necklace you and Em wore at your weddings at my wedding.