Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CSA

My father used to joke that I would have made a wonderful hippi. Frankly, he had a pretty good point. I'm a peace lover, art is my life, nature and being gentle on the environment ranks high on my priority list, and I wear loose, flowing dresses on a very regular basis. So other than the drugs and free sex thing, I'd say he wasn't too far off.

My most recent expression of my inner-hippi has been through food. This summer, I signed me and BJ up for a CSA (community supported agriculture). The way it works is I paid into a family-run, organic farm near Murray, and they deliver me a large basket of organically-grown produce every Thursday. It is awesome!!! Not only are you eating healthy, environmentally friendly foods, but you are also supporting local agriculture! To give you an idea of how happy this makes me, just know that I don't usually use exclamation marks. It's rare and significant for them to show up.

The funnest part of the CSA is that I'm getting tons of vegetables that I've never cooked before, so I am being challenged to learn new recipes and cooking methods. BJ is walking into the unknown almost every meal. Here is a conversation between us from earlier this week:

Me: We are going to have swiss chard in our basket this week.
BJ: I don't even know what swiss chard is.
Me: It is something I'll be cooking in bacon for you.

And I did cook it in bacon. It was wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know why I get so excited about all this because I will not be getting to enjoy eating it - but I get so excited about seeing your newsletter and seeing what you will be eating the next week. I wish we had this in Menard. I think it would be fun to try new stuff from the basket. Enjoy. Love you both, Mom P.

Kayla said...

I've been wanting to try a CSA. I need to see if there's one near us. How much does yours cost?