Monday, May 04, 2009

A Revolutionary Post

I am going to take a short moment to be an English snob. This is necessary because it is wrong, I mean down-right wrong, for businesses to cheapen really good words for their advertising purposes. So here it goes.

Saturday, I was working on my final essay for the class I am currently taking, so lunch was a microwavable Lean Cuisine Panini. I was reading the instruction for microwaving, and it said to place the sandwich on their Revolutionary Grilling Tray (the words were actually bolded. I am not exagerating.) Now really - "revolutionary"? Is it revolutionary like that time the Americans decided to overthrow British rule? Or is it revolutionary like back when the French paupers decided to kill everyone who made $250,000 a year or more? Or maybe it is just revolutionary like the time we decided to stop using people and start using machines to make everything - like, for example, cardboard grilling trays? People, please. Grilling trays cannot, let me repeat in bold, cannot be revolutionary. That is a big, important word, and it should be used for big, important things. But thats all I have to say. I feel better now.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Haha! I totally agree.

Speaking of advertising, this word use is not as egregious, but I am so tired of hearing the word pure when it comes to food. Kraft is the worst about this. "It's purefect." Darby and I coined the word "pureganic." I think that's going to be the next big thing, because organic is no longer good enough. (Also, organic does not mean healthy. Sugar can be organic. But that's a whole other issue.)