Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Nightly Excursions

As a pregnant woman, I get up at least twice a night for bathroom trips. Typically, these excursions take place at 2:00 am and 4:00 am. Apparently, my bladder is on a very strict schedule. Recently, I've had a few more obstacles than usual.

First off, there is Gus. Gus is a very hot-natured dog (who wouldn't be with all that fur?). In the winter, this doesn't pose a problem. He sleeps in carpeted areas of the house like a normal dog. But the second the temperature starts rising above freezing, Gus starts spending his time on the coolest surface in the house: our tile floor in the bathroom. And to make it even cooler, he cuddles up around the coolest object in our house: our porcelain toilet. Let me give you a visual:


So for the past couple of months, my groggy self has had a challenge using the bathroom. It takes a careful sideways maneuvering that is too complicated to go into right now.

My other obstacle comes upon my return to bed. I'm not sure why, but for the past few weeks, BJ has started rolling over to my side of the bed anytime I get up. He's asleep, of course, so he has no idea he's doing it, but he literally leaves me about a foot of bed space. Although I hate disturbing his sleep, I have to ask him to move over. Last night, this is how that went:

Me: BJ, sweety, I need you to move over. You're on my side of the bed.
BJ: Hmm. *several sleepy groans* The bed, what?
Me: I need you to move over a little bit. I don't have any room.
BJ (in a tone of sudden enlightenment): Oh, the couch.

At this point he turned over and back unto his side of the bed. I have no idea what the couch thing was about, but it made perfect sense to him, and I did finally get my side of the bed back.

So these are the adventures of a pregnant lady whose bladder is now apparently the size of a peanut. In our house, at least, it is an adventure.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Maybe BJ was telling you you should sleep on the couch so as not to disturb his sleep. :) I bet that suggestion would go over really well.