Monday, May 24, 2010

Musings on approaching parenthood

Saturday evening, BJ and I went to a wedding at our church. It was a huge wedding, and our building couldn't fit everybody, so BJ and I ended up sitting in the nursery and watching the wedding through a window into the auditorium.

About halfway through the ceremony, a grandfather brought in his 3 month-old granddaughter to changer her diaper. While he worked in the corner, I leaned over to BJ to make this inquiry: "Have you ever changed a diaper?" Unsurprisingly, BJ answered, "Nope, never," to which I had to respond, "Me neither."

Now, we're going to be parents in approximately four and a half months. Of course, there are lots of people at church who would be happy to let us practice changing a diaper with their babies, but I have no intention of learning that skill until I have to, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't have to until around October 20th. If I do learn before then, I would like to learn with something poop-free, like a baby doll or a football. So basically, Baby Gensic's life is going to be one giant experiment in parenting. It should make for some interesting blogging material when the time comes.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

I cannot believe you've NEVER changed a diaper! You are lucky. If it makes you feel any better, my friend (who has a daughter) was telling me about an incident in the parenting class at church. A couple who does not have any kids asked, "What should we do beforehand to prepare for having a baby?" And my friend said, "Honestly, you cannot prepare." She said she had read tons of parenting books, was hyper-organized, and all of it flew out the window the first night they were home with their colicky baby. I feel like everybody just learns as they go. And I know you guys will be great parents!

Anonymous said...

It isn't that hard, parents have been doing it for centuries. And it's always easier when the baby is yours. But I do want to be there to watch.
Love you
Mom G

Anonymous said...

My husband was a diaper changing virgin before we were parents. He said he was saving himself for our children;) It isn't rocket science, you will do fine:)I am thrilled it is a boy!:) As you know, big brothers rock!Deborah