Thursday, March 13, 2014

Siblings

Shep and Lydi are starting to fight. They bicker. They pick on each other. Shep finds new and creative ways every day to irritate poor Lydi to her breaking point.

I do a fair amount of refereeing these days, but for the most part, I let them fight. I love seeing that their relationship is growing and deepening. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see the fighting as evidence of this. My brother and I fought all the time growing up. It was in that relationship that I learned how to get over being angry and move on.

Fortunately, they don't just fight. After Lydia's nap, Shepherd always wants to be the one to open her door and greet her. She bounces up and down in her bed excitedly every time. And when they reunite after one has been away running an errand or shopping with mom or dad, they hug. Before they go to bed, Shepherd has to kiss Lydia's cheek, and Lydia has to say "nigh-night" to Shep. There is plenty of evidence that there is no love lost between these two little warriors.

No comments: