Monday, January 01, 2007

The long, long, long, long road that leads home

The past week has been eventful, both in good, bad, happy, and tearful ways. So here it goes.

Saturday we drove the thirteen hours to Illinois, and Sunday we went the 6 hours to Indiana to spend time with more extended family. I love seeing BJ's family, so we had a really good time. One of the highlights were when Grandma Gensic called my husband a dumb sh** because he kept buzzing her for saying illegal words in Taboo. We traveled back to Illinois on Tuesday, spent more time with the new Mom and Dad as well as Allison and Breandan (my sister-in-law and her fiance). It was really hard to leave Thursday, especially when Dad hugged me and whispered in my ear "You sure are good for that boy." That was definitely one of the highlights of the week.

After driving 13 hours Thursday to get to Abilene, we headed out early Friday morning for San Antonio (4 hours) so that I could be the Matron of Honor in Theresa's wedding. I know that the title makes this kind of obvious, and it's a bit sappy to say, but that was really, really an honor. I've been a bridesmaid twice before, but being a Matron of Honor was completely different. I had a lot of responsibilities, but it was nice being able to do something for Theresa. One of the other best moments from the week was at the reception when I got to do a toast for Sean and Theresa. I talked about how I had seen Theresa earlier in the day the first time they went out together, and I had given her the piece of gum she was chewing when they first kissed, which of course made me responsible for the whole affair. People laughed in all the right parts, and I managed to hold off the crying until the very end of the toast when I got sappy.

Although the wedding was beautiful, it was a hard day because I knew Theresa would be leaving for Kentucky in two days, and she did leave today. I'm so happy for her, but it's a little hard knowing she is so far away.

We went back to Menard Sunday and had Christmas with my family. I love spending time with them and had so much fun. But since I was so tired and it was so different having Christmas a week late, everything just kind of hit me: I had spent a Christmas away from my family, and me and Theresa are now grown up and married, and everything keeps changing. I ended up crying a lot. But I still managed to win a few board games.

Tonight at about six, me and BJ left Menard. I was driving, and about ten miles out of Menard, I hit a deer. A car had be coming in the opposite lane, and the lights had blinded me just long enough that I didn't see it. We were very blessed. We are all safe, and the car seemed to only have body damage. Hopefully, insurance will cover it. It was my first wreck, and I am still a little shaky. My family came and got us, and Bro drove us to Abilene in his car. BJ, myself, Tony, and Sienna are now all four safely tucked away, ready for a long night's sleep. And if you were counting, it was about 50 hours on the road.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Poor Kalyn! I'm glad you guys weren't hurt. I'm back in Abilene, so I'll talk to you soon!