Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year's Resolution: Be Boring

I just caught myself making the most alarming comment on a friend's blog. Kayla, one of my best friends from college, was writing about how 2009 has the potential to be the first year in a long while when she won't face a major life change. Here was my comment: "That's my goal for this year: no major life changes. I am so tired of constantly being in adjustment mode. Hopefully, on Dec. 31, 2009, I will be toasting an impressively uneventful year."

How boring could I possibly sound! And, yet, that is exactly how I feel. Here's a short recap of the past 6 years.

2003: graduate from high school, go to college, live in a dorm
2004: start dating BJ, moved to another dorm
2005: get engaged, move to apartment
2006: move in with my brother, then move to mine and BJ's first home, get married, and then find out that I had married a preacher (that was a shocker)
2007: graduate from college and move to Frisco (catching a theme here with the whole moving thing.)
2008: move to Kentucky, for crying out loud (what does that saying even mean? All I know is that I wanted to express the absurdity of this last one), and get a real, full-time, dress nicely sort of job.

So yeah, I'm okay with the mundane this year. I like my house. I don't want to leave it. I'm really, really tired of moving. And I don't want any more major adjustments. Other than taking a few graduate courses, life should rock along smoothly this year. For a girl who hasn't lived in the some place for over a year in 6 years, that is sounding pretty good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsh and I both hoped to have a slower year. In other words not let the calendar get so full. I agree with you...it is nice to be boring at times. I am glad you are enjoying your home..we are doing the same. Enjoy your bored life and I will too :) -Haylee-

Kayla said...

Yay for being boring! But I keep having this nagging fear that now that I wrote that post I'm going to get pregnant. :)

Kalyn Gensic said...

ME TOO!!!! That is the exact thought that has been running through my mind since I wrote the post!