Monday, February 02, 2009

25 Things

I was tagged on Facebook to do a list of twenty-five random things about me. Here's my list:

1. As a child, anytime I got very upset, I would run to my room, lay in bed, and concentrate on marching bands in parades. It always made me feel better.

2. Now when I get upset, I lay on the floor with my dog, Gus.

3. I once dreamed I was making out with Bob Marley. The latter part of the dream was spent with me fretting over the possibility of BJ breaking up with me.

4. Sometimes I like to wear clothes that aren't necessarily pretty (like my mustard-colored sweater) because it makes me feel liberated from always trying to fit in or be what people expect me to be.

5. Most of the jewelry I wear is cheap Avon jewelry my Grandma Pierce bought in the 70s and 80s.

6. Name any food item, and I can probably tell you the calorie content in a serving size. I am obsessed with calorie counting.

7. When I can't fall asleep, I go through the alphabet thinking of baby names for each letter. Some nights I do girl names, and other nights I do boy names. Incidentally, since I am married to a Bible scholar of sorts, my children will probably end up with weird Hebrew names. Please do not make fun of them.

8. I don't see the point in having glasses unless you are going to look like a librarian. I always go all out with big, plastic frames, and I wear them a lot.

9. Ever since my Grandma Pierce died, I have had a hard time playing the piano without getting depressed. After ten years, I thought it would get better.

10. The first thing I do every morning is look up political articles on the internet. When I come across ones I really like, I e-mail it to people I think will enjoy it. I kind of feel sorry for the people who keep getting these e-mails.

11. I once got fired for a blog post about not liking children. After over a year, I can finally laugh about it.

12. When BJ and I are having a rough day, we watch the "My Musical" episode of season 6 Scrubs. I once got cracked up in church because a song we were singing sounded exactly like my favorite song from the episode, "Everything Comes Down to Poo."

13. If I could be reincarnated, I would come back as a tall black woman with a HUGE Afro. I love Afros.

14. My friends here in Farmington joke that I am an elitist. I think they might be on to something.

15. BJ was the first and only guy I've ever kissed.

16. I like old things. My house is all kinds of quirky due to its old age, but I wouldn't trade it in for a brand new, enormous, well-functioning mansion. I was very excited when I first moved in because it smelled like my Grandma Farr's old farm house.

17. My favorite part of being a preacher's wife is proofing the sermons. I get a great deal of satisfaction from hearing a well-crafted sentence from the pulpit that I helped construct.

18. When I look at my own artwork, all I can see are flaws. Somehow, though, I don't want to stop making it.

19. I always assigned emotions to inanimate objects as a child. I once cried two day after eating at Pizza Hut because I was afraid I had hurt the feelings of a piece of pizza I had left uneaten on my plate.

20. The preacher who performed mine and BJ's wedding ceremony said that I was a curious mixture of domesticity and feminism. My brother told him that is why they call me a "domestic feminist."

21. My best friend, Theresa, and I once hid in my house with cast iron skillets and tennis rackets because we thought there was an intruder. It ended up being our brothers. I have no idea what a couple of ten year old girls were going to do with those weapons.

22. When I was about five years old, I had multiple dreams about Saddam Hussein attacking me and my family.

23. My idol is Doris Kearns Goodwin. She is a historian who often appears on PBS. This, of course, reveals the extent of my nerdiness.

24. I schedule my day around NPR. (If any doubts were left about my nerdiness, that cleared them up.)

25. All of my passwords and usernames revolve around Gone with the Wind. When I was a kid, they would air Gone with the Wind once a year on TV. My Grandma Pierce and I would watch it while eating Little Debbies.

2 comments:

John Pierce said...

Was there ever anything anybody didn't do with Grandma without eating Little Debbies?

Anonymous said...

Little Debbie has always been a big part of our family! Right?
Love, Mom and Dad