Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Curtains and more curtains and more...

I have lived in my house for nine months now. Each month, I fall a little more in love with it's numerous quirks and idiosyncrasies. The best part about having a home of which you really fell ownership is the never-ending process of molding that home into an aesthetic conglomerate that represents you, your family, and your taste. For me, this process has most obviously played itself out through the outfitting of windows. As of this weekend, I have officially sewn curtains or valances to outfit fifteen windows. Here is a quick run through of my sewing extravaganza.

First off, I made curtains for our living room when I was still at the rental waiting for our sell to go through. The trim matches our pillows:


The night I found out we would close the next day and get our house, I threw together this little valance out of scrap fabric from the living room curtains and pillows. I added the embroidery stitch by hand to keep it from being too plain:


Next, I decided to revamp my kitchen. Our house was built in the 1940s, so I was really wanting to capture a "Leave it to Beaver" feel without being too hokey. After thoroughly researching fabrics online and at stores, here is what I came up with:


After the kitchen curtains, I decided to remedy a problem that has irritated me since I got here. The curtains the previous owner left in the sun room where dark and heavy and didn't let any sun through. What's the point of having a sun room if the sun never comes through? So I sewed light-weight valances that let the light shine through:


Lastly, I wanted to give the guest bedroom a warmer feel by adding some curtains. Unfortunately, by this point I was feeling a little guilty about how much money I had spent on curtain fabric. To be more efficient, I made very simple valances and added an embellishment of ribbon to dress it up a bit:


So this is how I've amused myself during my first year as homeowner. Knowing me, I will soon get the itch to sew again, so if you are in need of custom curtains, let me know. Hope I haven't bored anyone too much. I just get really excited by fabric and thread and ribbons. And believe me, I know I'm a nerd.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kalyn, I love all of them, but I think my favorite is the kitchen curtains. I love the fabrics you picked. Such talent.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

The kitchen is my fav too!
Do you ever just sit and watch TV?
Deborah

Kalyn Gensic said...

On the tv question, the answer is no. We actually don't have cable or satellite, and bunny ears don't pick up anything where we live. So I have a lot of time on my hands.

Unknown said...

The best article sir, I hope you become a great writer thank you
online gambling