Monday, June 29, 2009

July again

We are only two days from July, and that has got me reflecting on my life over the past few years. July has been an eventful month for BJ and I. In July of 2006, we got married. In 2007, we moved to Dallas. And, of course, last July we moved to Kentucky. Although we will have a lot of company this month, July is looking pretty uneventful in comparison to the past three years.

It is hard to believe that BJ and I have been married for three years, and it is even harder to believe that we have lived in three entirely different places. I keep trying to pen down how I am going to define my first years of marriage in the years ahead, and I'm not sure how to neatly phrase it. "We were never bored." Or maybe, "Where to now?"

BJ and I don't do anything the easy way. Every place we've been has presented unique challenges. In Abilene, BJ felt numbed by jobs that were miles away from this education and passion. Dallas was a battlefield; BJ may have been called a "heretic," but he wasn't going to back down from teaching what he knew needed to be taught. And now Kentucky, where we are still trying to get our feet steadily placed under us. The one constant throughout all of this change was the necessity for team work. We each had to muster every ounce of perseverance and fortitude we had to make it through to the next phase.

In some ways, I fear life becoming too settled. What has always brought BJ and I together has been an 'us against the world' mentality. In Abilene, we had to have patience, Dallas required strength, and Kentucky is demanding courage and trust in God. I probably don't need to get too worried about the sudden settling of dust around us, though. After all, BJ has a way of shaking things up when I least expect it. That is what makes being Mrs. BJ Gensic so much fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There will be a time when you feel settled. Then will be the us against them and the them is the kiddos!:) It is a great phase, but it isn't boring like I thought it might be!

Shannon said...

Hey Kayln! I just wanted to let you know that I have brought my blog back from the dead. haha. I'm glad you are enjoying Kentucky and I sure do miss ya'll lots!

Kayla said...

Mrs. BJ Gensic...gag me! :) I'm just so happy that you guys have found a place to stay for more than a year! You two are a great team. And I have a feeling that you'll never let anything get too boring.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I "get" Twitter. Are you on it? I just can't imagine having stuff to say all day. (Or saying it in so few words...ha!)