Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer days

Last year, we moved into our house at the beginning of fall, so this is the first time we have really been able to enjoy our yard and patio. As it has (finally) warmed up, we've been spending more and more time outside. I have a small, potted herb garden and a huge flower bed I am trying to take care of. Of course, I don't know anything about gardening, so my flower bed consist of every flower whose seed-packet picture was pretty. I'm guessing that once the flowers start blooming it will look like a collage a disorder. I'll have a better idea of what to do next year.

When I get home from work, I cook us a meal with our fresh vegetables from the CSA. BJ can't believe some of the things he is learning to like (turnips, radish greens, kale, etc.) According to BJ, I am stuffing him full of vegetables. After dinner, we hop in the pool where we are able to think of all sorts of ways to hurt each other. Pools are so much fun. Sienna generally hops in and takes a few laps. After the pool, I head in and either do some little house project or work on art. It's a pretty good system we have going here.

The miraculous part of all of this is that I am starting to see the slightest darkening of my skin. It's nothing drastic. I certainly wouldn't call it a tan. In fact, it is more just a subtle connecting of my freckles. Now let me be clear: I wear sunscreen when I am out (I will not be looking like a leather bag when I am forty). But a healthy glow doesn't hurt, whereas the glare off of my former paleness probable did hurt some eyes. So I'm going to embrace what BJ once called "a darker shade of white," and I will call it a "glow."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and BJ are able to spend relaxing evenings together. That is wonderful. I hope things continue going well for you both. Love ya and hope to talk to you more soon. -Haylee-

Kayla said...

"a subtle connecting of my freckles"
Hahaha!! You are too funny. I really need a pool. The glare off of my legs is still blinding, I think.
On a related note, remember sophomore year when BJ came over to Morris, and he saw that picture we had taken on that bench in Buffalo Gap, and he said something like, "Those are the 5 whitest pairs of legs I've ever seen." :)