Monday, June 15, 2009

Things I'm missing about Texas

I like Kentucky, but some days I really miss home. Today, I'm missing...

...cilantro. No one puts it in their salsa here.

...bluebonnets. Bluebonnets are a part of life in Texas. We all grew up in Texas reading Legend of the Bluebonnets and being told that we were never to pick them. They taught me to respect my environment. They froze over when my grandmother died, and a few days after the funeral, they thawed out and continued to live for another month. When I graduated from college, my college girlfriends and I did a farewell photo shoot in a field of bluebonnets. I haven't seen a field of bluebonnets in over a year.

...three-digit weather. You don't think you'll ever miss it, but you do.

...family, family, and family.

...days without rain. It rains here everyday. BJ and I have been trying to stain our deck for two weeks, and we haven't had a forecast without rain for a long enough span to stain anything. I've never liked rain, and this is truly ridiculous.

I'm sure I could think of things I don't miss, but for the past few weeks, all I can seem to remember are the things I do miss. I've never been a proud, boasting Texan. You won't find any Texas flags in my house or on my clothes, and I won't ever try to rub it in that we are somehow a superior state to Kentucky or any other state. I'm not that sort, and I don't respect that kind of narrow-mindedness. However, it is my home, and I do love it. And, incidentally, I would sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas" if it would mean getting a number 4 from Los Arcos right now. Believe me, I would.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And your family in Texas is sure missing two things in KY. Kalyn and BJ. It has been way too long. We are going to get there, it is not that much longer. I love you.

Mom P.

Kayla said...

I know what you mean about bluebonnets! A wildflower-less spring is depressing.
And it rains every day here, too. Boo! I've been having to wear a jacket at night. I know I should appreciate the cooler weather, but I think jackets in the summer are just plain wrong!
One thing I don't miss about (west) Texas...dust storms. It is windy here, but never dusty.

Unknown said...

Clarification post! I really like and appreciate your efforts, thank you for sharing useful knowledge about blog strategy I heard I like
បាការ៉ាត់អនឡាញ