Sunday, June 19, 2011

Torn

Tonight, I'm posting from Menard, TX where Shepherd and I are visiting my parents. I've spent this weekend reuniting with my college girlfriends, watching my parents fawn over Shepherd, and taking my little guy around town to see and meet many of the people who were part of my childhood. It has been a good weekend, but I can't help but feel torn about being here.

Tuesday afternoon, BJ's grandfather passed away. The viewing and funeral were Friday and Saturday. My initial instinct was to cancel my long-awaited trip and head to Indiana, but BJ's family, with generosity and love, encouraged me to keep my plans. They reminded me that Shepherd and I had been there when it mattered, two weeks ago when Grandpa was able to see us. So while I'm having a wonderful vacation, I am living in the tension that is so often a part of life. I am rejoicing with those I love who are rejoicing and mourning with those I love who are mourning. The two are existing at the same time, and that is okay. It is not taking away from this trip. If anything, it is reminding me just how precious the moments are that we share with our family.

When I get back to Kentucky, I'll post pictures from mine and Shepherd's trip. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for BJ, his grandfather, and his family as they have gone through this loss.

1 comment:

BJ said...

I'm glad you're having a great week. I miss you and can't wait for you to get home.