Tuesday, May 29, 2012

On anticipating my daughter's arrival

The due date for the birth of my daughter is officially less than two months away.  During the final stretch of my pregnancy with Shepherd, I did several posts documenting what I was thinking.  Here are a few thoughts as I anticipate my little girl's arrival:

1. I can't believe there is going to be a little girl in this family.  Shepherd is so very, very, very all boy.  He rolls in mud.  He chases frogs.  He smells bad most of the time.  He is just a boy.  I literally cannot fathom what a girl is going to be like, but I can't wait to find out.

2. I often hear people who are having or have a daughter say that they don't like things "too girly." I say, is there any such thing as too girly. I'm pretty much up for any level of girly-ness. I figure this may be the only daughter I ever have, so bring on the pink and purple and flowers and ruffles and bows.  I can handle it.

3. I hope my second child knows that we are just as excited about her as we were about Shepherd.  Subsequent children often feel cheated somehow (although my parents never made me feel that way.)  I'm trying to do everything for her that I did for Shepherd, which mean that a baby book has been started, she has her own painting by me, I've embroidered and sewn her a Christmas stocking, and I am currently working on making her space in our bedroom very special.  Honestly, it's a lot of work.

4. The thought of loving another person the way I love Shepherd is both exciting and terrifying.  It is such an overwhelming love, it is hard to imagine what life will be like when these feelings are suddenly multiplied and flowing out to another little person.  Of course, I already feel a huge surge of love for her, but I know that her actual presence in my arms is going to be like getting hit by a train; a good, happy, lovely, mushy train, but a train none the less.

5. I'm really excited about her name.  It is nothing fancy or unusual, but it is special to me and our family.  And the shortened version of the first name is super cute for a little girl!

6. It hit me the other night as it does all pregnant women at some point that, once again, this baby is going to have to come out.  Last time, I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into.  This time, I'm quite clear on the particulars.  I'm not sure which is worse.

7. Shepherd as big brother is going to be a sight to behold.  In fact, it will probably be beholded quite a bit on this blog, so we can all look forward to that.

8. There are many physical attributes among my family that I would get a kick out of seeing in one of my children that didn't show up in Shepherd, like my skin that freckles, my father's incredibly light blue eyes, or my brother's curly hair.  I'm very curious to see if any of these show up in our coming attraction.

9.  BJ is often thought of as a harsher personality.  This is in fact not true at all when it comes to being a husband and father.  I predict that when he holds this little girl, he will basically turn until a giant bowl of mush.

10. I'm excited to bring her to our church.  She is going to be so loved there, and any gift God has given her will be encouraged and nurtured in the best possible way.  I am so grateful God put us here for the birth of our daughter.

On that note, Shepherd just ran by the computer leaving a very pungent small in his wake.  I should go take care of that.

1 comment:

Mrs. Gray said...

Aww, reading this made me want to have babies! I'll probably still wait until we make more money than we borrow, but your writing was so beautiful!!