Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Rife-with-Anxiety Family Tree

I always joke that I inherited my irrational anxiety from my Dad and his mother.  There is certainly a whole lot of irrational anxiety going around that branch of my family tree, but sometimes I think certain other branches aren't helping my genetic situation, either.  Frankly, my mother can be just as crazy as me and my father. 

My brother and his wife have finally gotten to take off on their honeymoon to Prince Edward's Islands in Canada.  I was talking about it with my mom on Tuesday when she confided to me that she had not been able to sleep the night before due to anxiety.  What was the issue? Apparently, she feared that Bro and Stephanie would be wrongly accused of a crime while in a foreign land, and her and Dad are too poor to pay the legal bills that would come up in such a scenario. 

Being the nice daughter I am, I didn't make too much fun of her.  I simply reminded her that we were talking about Canada, not North Korea (or for that matter, Italy).  I record this little story to simply point out that the next time I voice some off the wall concern that has me in the midst of a panic attack, whoever is nearest should be understanding.  My gene pool really has me doomed on this front.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Ha! I have the same thing in my family tree. When we were in Italy, my mom was worried that we wouldn't have a good time. ??? Then, the earthquake happened, so that reeeeallly gave her something to worry about. When I e-mailed my dad to wish him happy birthday, she was so relieved that we were still alive. But, according to my dad, the next thing she said was: "Why didn't she say they were having a good time?" There's always something to worry about.

Anonymous said...

Uh, excuse me, Kalyn - did you have to put this on your blog? I did not want your brother or sister-in-law to know this.

Love, your worry free Mother

Anonymous said...

My parents are in Alaska and I can't talk to them daily and I worry about them...I am a "worry" family member also ;(

Haylee