Monday, October 15, 2007

Pink Polka Dots a Little Boys

Since the wreck, I have been substitute teaching at BJ's school to help us with the financial problems that are inevitable after a wreck. Subbing has really been a blessing from God because BJ and I get to commute together, and I am able to make us the bit of extra money we so desperately need. So far I've subbed 3rd grade, 5th grade, and 7th grade. In my opinion, the older the better. The 7th grader all have BJ for Bible, so they were absolutely fabulous for me. Somehow, I just don't know what to do with small children. It seems so natural for elementary teachers to know when to discipline the kids and how to talk on their level. I just kind of tumble through the day from what I later am able to see was one mistake after another.

My biggest problem is that I don't always notice that what a kid is doing is something worth disciplining. For example, at the end of today, I was put in charge of watching the younger children as they waited for their parents to come and get them. One of the little boys was stamping himself from head to toe with a hot pink circular stamp. My thought process: "That looks pretty cool." In fact, this was not only a silent thought, but it was also my verbal response when he proudly showed me his body art. Not long after this, another teacher jumps all over the kid (who was technically my responsibility) for what I saw as a little harmless self-expression. It probably didn't help that he stamped his pristine white tennis shoes, but, what the heck, they look better now. Or at least more interesting. Perhaps I should invest in a lifetime supply of birth control so that I can save my would-be children from getting in trouble at school for things their mother encouraged at home, like Crayola murals or playing with you food until it is aesthetically pleasing and then eating it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeayyyy Kalin! I have always thought there were teachers who got upset over nothing. Give the little fellows some room to express themselves. So what! The paint will either wash off or wear off. If it is the latter then the kid will be wiser next time. Let them be nonconformists if they want to. We have too many cookie cutter children as it is.