Sunday, October 02, 2011

A New Home

It is 8:00 in the evening after our first Sunday at the First Christian Church in Ardmore. It has been a beautiful, warm day full of rich examples of hospitality.

There are many things to complain about with the whole preacher's-wife life. In fact, I've devoted a good bit of this blog to that endeavor. Let me take a moment to tell you some things that are awesome about being the minister's wife here in Ardmore.

1. When I came to town last Sunday evening to start the process of setting up home, all of my belongings had already been moved into our rental home and our new place had been scrubbed clean by a crew of wonderful church ladies.

2. There were also cookies here.

3. I don't have to worry too much about Shepherd's habit of crawling anywhere and everywhere. There is always some one eager and willing to pick him up.

4. Along with number three, when Shepherd had an EXPLOSIVE diaper tonight (I'm talking up the back and out the sides), one of the women offered to help. I accepted the offer. Talk about sacrificial love.

5. I've already been invited to a plethora of activities where I can get to know people and build community.

6. People were really, really excited to have us here this morning. Church was basically one giant hug.

We have gotten mostly settled into our house, and we are now embarking on building a life and a community here. Normally, when I move to a new place, I feel out of sorts for a long time. I'm actually feeling very comfortable and at home here. Perhaps it is because I'm finally accepting that my husband is a preacher and that makes me a preacher's wife. I'm sure that is part of it. But I also think it is because the Kingdom of God is at work in this church in a big way, and it makes it a very nice place to be. Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to my years as an Okie.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it there so far. Can't wait to hear more about it.