Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The mind of an artist, poet, pianist, and other useless activities

Last night I was happily reading a cheesy romantic novella when BJ called me into the living room to watch Keith Olbermann and hear Bush’s address. Apparently, this was the sort of momentous occasion that I shouldn’t read A Reluctant Schoolmarm through. I really like Olbermann and enjoy his speeches, so I was attentive through that segment of history. And then I figured yeah, sure, I’ll watch Bush, too. So while BJ was appreciating the significance of last night (for better or worse), I just kind of got lost in the mysterious web of my mind. Before I knew it, I was wondering how it is men’s fashion has evolved into the conventional suit, so much so that nearly every man in America with a decent paying job wears a suit Monday through Friday. As I stared at Bush’s red tie, I kept wondering what the function of that curious piece of clothing is or ever was. When I posed these questions to BJ, he said, “You mean all you are getting out of this is wondering why men wear ties?” Yes, that’s it. So I returned to the passionate tales of a schoolmarm.

No comments: