Monday, August 28, 2006

I’ve moved up, and I’m confused

For twenty-one years, I’ve been able to comfortably set through the first few minutes of roll call. P is a ways down in the alphabet, and I like it that way. So today, the first day of school, I did as always: daydreamed while the teacher’s voice danced in a blur in the background of my mind for the first part of class. The problem with this is that I had forgotten that I’ve recently been promoted in the alphabet. I was totally unprepared for the G’s. So when the teacher called out “Kalyn Gensic” (mispronouncing my last name in a way that only furthered confusion), I set dreamily in my seat slowly registering the name only to wake up after entirely too many seconds to realize that the person being called was in fact myself. So I looked like an idiot who didn’t know my own name. Great first impression. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have better luck remembering who I am.

No comments: